TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR PROPOSALS (ABSTRACTS), PAPERS, AND POSTERS
Collaborative Virtual Space
HIV/AIDS Prevention and Care - Family and Community Health Area
IKM-- BIREME - Pan American Health Organization - PAHO/WHO
The deadline for submissions of abstracts for the
The deadline for submissions of abstracts for tutoring is January 31st , 2008
To submit application for abstract, presentation or poster tutoring enter to Website: http://cspace.fch.bvsalud.org/tiki-index.php
Or Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) is developing a collaborative virtual space to assist individuals and organizations/groups in the Region of the
Taking advantage of the upcoming International AIDS Conference to be held in
Whereas PAHO can’t provide any warranty that the submissions will be accepted, it can make a serious commitment that the quality of the accepted contributions will be enhanced through the development of competencies in the field of preparation of abstracts, papers, and presentations, whether oral or as posters.
The mechanism is essentially a Collaborative Virtual Space that includes:
- A Toolkit:links that would enable users to learn about the techniques and art of writing scientific proposals and papers.
- Tutorship: will be provided –at a limited scale initially—to improve the quality of some promising papers and to sharpen the capacities of investigators and writers.
- The space will include virtual tools for exchange of information and experiences – Forum, Blog, Wikis.
This mechanism is an ongoing endeavor and will be modified and expanded with the contributions and opinions of users.
This gives PAHO a month for actual work on perfecting abstracts. Nevertheless, further support will be provided for the development of presentations and posters and for last minute submissions.
Scientific tracks of the conference:
· Globalization & HIV/AIDS: how, in a world with borders, globalization and global inequalities affect the response to the epidemic,
and how this response can best contribute to increasing the benefits and reducing the drawbacks of globalization.
· Science & Technology: how to transfer to the field and increase worldwide access to recent biomedical advances, technological
innovations and improvements in public health policies in HIV prevention , treatment and support.
· Health Systems Strengthening & Integration: how to strengthen broad-based health systems and integrate HIV interventions
to deliver the necessary services to those in greatest need; and how HIV-targeted programs can reciprocally contribute to health
systems strengthening and global health?
· Stigma, Discrimination & Social Justice: how to combat stigma and discrimination against PLWHAS and groups more exposed
to the risks of HIV infection, and to overcome existing barriers in access to HIV care and prevention, with a special interest in
approaches that incorporate these goals within a social justice framework.
· "Do the Right Thing" and Evidence-informed policies & Programmes: how to guarantee that public policies and interventions
by all concerned partners are based on the best available evidence and on established good practices at the global, national and local levels.
· Tracking Progress & Accountability: how to track the progress that has been made in the response, as well as the remaining
gaps and limitations, in order to increase accountability of all partners towards the communities most affected by the epidemic.
The scientific vision and these themes will serve as a basis for building the abstracts
Timeline for Applications of FCH - PAHO WHO tutoring:
January 31 2008: Deadline for submision of applications for tutoring
February 5 2008: Selection of proposals that would benefit of direct tutoring
February 6-15 2008: Tutoring proccess ( Two virtual meetings – Via Elluminate)
February 16- 19 2008: Abstracts submission BY AUTHORS to the International AIDS Conference to be held in
Relevant information about the International AIDS Conference
19 February 2008
Abstract submission closes. Abstracts will not be accepted after this date (except for late breakers)
20 May 2008
Late breakers abstracts submission opens
16 June 2008
Late breakers abstracts submission closes
Selection Criteria for Tutoring
1. Applications are open to anyone who is working in the field of HIV/AIDS.
2. Applications must be related to any of the conference tracks
3. Submissiom must include personal data, title of abstract, presentation or poster, and a brief description
- The abstracts submitted are written by authors from the Region of the
- The abstract submitted to the mentor must be a final draft and follow the submission guidelines. The administrator of the mentor programme will return draft abstracts to the submitter if they do not follow the submission guidelines.
- Mentors will help the abstract submitters by answering questions on practical issues and formal requirements on the abstract, but not on the quality of the data collected or actual findings.
- Mentors will not make any changes for the abstract submitter.
- Mentors cannot and will not indicate if he/she thinks that the abstract is likely to be selected or not.
- Applicants must submit their revised abstracts to the Conference, PAHO does not assume the responsibility for doing it
- Applicants should receive an email response within 5 days of submitting your application
Toolkit of the International AIDS Conference:
A toolkit on preparing the best conference abstracts, presentations and posters is available
in English, French and Spanish for all abstract submitters’ use.
Dr. Rafael Mazin, Regional Advisor on HIV/AIDS Prevention and Care
Family and Community Healh Area - PAHO/WHO
Washington DC USA
* * * *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues. [DD/ IKM Area]
“Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members”.
PAHO/WHO Website: http://www.paho.org/
EQUITY List - Archives - Join/remove: http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html
IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you may not disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by email to email@example.com, and please dispose of and delete this transmission. Thank you.