Post-Graduate Fellowship at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation
Call for applications
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the
“….IHME aspires to make available to the world high-quality information on population health, its determinants, and the performance of health systems. We seek to achieve this directly, by catalyzing the work of others and by training researchers as well as policy makers. Our goal is to improve the health of the world’s populations by providing the best information on population health.
The IHME Post-Graduate Fellowship Program provides a unique opportunity for individuals with graduate-level training and a strong quantitative background to conduct in-depth, methodological research on a variety of global health topics with the mentorship of faculty and senior researchers. Through research, training workshops and mentorship, the program is intended to enhance the analytical skills of future academics and professional leaders in the field of global health measurement and evaluation.
Post-Graduate Fellows will contribute directly to the overall research agenda of IHME and will be involved in all aspects of projects including analyzing and synthesizing existing data, catalyzing new data collection, building statistical models and validating new analytical methods, interpreting findings, and reporting and disseminating results. Post-Graduate Fellows will be involved in research in one of six key areas of work: health outcomes, health services, resource inputs, evaluations, decision analytics, and tools and instruments.
Post-Graduate Fellowships are appointed at IHME for one year with the possibility of renewal for a second year upon mutual agreement. The salary is $50,000 during the first year and subject to a merit increase during the second year. As
In order to be considered for a Post-Graduate Fellowship, candidates must have the following:
· MD or PhD in the fields of quantitative methodology, statistics, health economics, health policy, demography, epidemiology, biostatistics, health services or other related field. Candidates with an MSc/MPH degree and at least three years of related research experience will also be considered.
· Strong quantitative background.
· Research experience, especially with data analysis and statistical methods.
· Proficiency in the English language.
One copy of the following non-returnable materials must be submitted to IHME.
1. A cover letter. Please ensure that your cover letter includes:
· your full contact information (address, phone number and email),
· the name, affiliation and full contact information of three references,
· which cohort you wish to be considered for (Fall or Winter),
· which of IHME’s areas of work you are most interested in,
· how you became aware of the program.
2. Curriculum Vitae or Resume
3. Personal statement describing your interest in IHME and your professional and academic interests and objectives. Please explain how participation in this program would advance these objectives and contribute to the goal of IHME. Refer to the specific area of work that you are most interested in and discuss how your background qualifies you to contribute to IHME’s research agenda in this area. Please limit this statement to 1000 words.
4. Three sealed letters of recommendation which address the quality and originality of your work, and your potential for an academic, research or policy career.
5. Educational transcript from your highest degree attained. If your transcripts are not in English, please also provide a listing of all coursework with grade and credit hour information.
6. One reprint of your most significant research paper, including a description of your role in the research. If the paper is not in English, please provide an English translation.
7. Proof of proficiency in English for candidates whose native language is not English. Candidates who have completed a degree wholly in English can provide a copy of their degree as proof of proficiency. All other candidates should send a copy of their scores in an approved English Language Test. Details of the English tests accepted by IHME are as follows:
(i) Princeton Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – for the paper-based test, minimum overall score of at 600 including a minimum score of 5.0 in the test of written English; for the computer-based test, minimum overall score of at least 250 including a minimum score of 5.0 in the test of written English; for the internet-based test, a minimum overall score of at least 100 including a minimum score of 24 in the test of written English.
(ii) British Council International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - a minimum score of 7.0 overall, including a minimum score of 7.0 in the written component.
Complete applications should be mailed to: Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation
For more information, please contact us by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.healthmetricsandevaluation.org –
Sean Lassiter, Education and Training Project Officer Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the
(206) 897-2832 email@example.com
* * *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues. [DD/ KMS Area]
“Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members”.
Equity List - Archives - Join/remove: http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html
IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you may not disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and please dispose of and delete this transmission. Thank you.