World Conference on Social Determinants of Health
Consultation on Draft Technical Paper from 9 May - 3 June 2011
Comments welcome by Friday 3 June 2011
Conference website: www.who.int/sdhconference/
Consultation page: www.who.int/sdhconference/consultation
The World Conference on Social Determinants of Health (WCSDH) is being convened by WHO and kindly hosted and supported by the Government of the Federative Republic of Brazil.
The World Conference will take place in
WHO is currently undertaking a public consultation on the current draft of the Technical Paper for the Conference to elicit comments and feedback.
The Technical Paper aims to provide policy-makers with an overview of key strategies to implement action on social determinants of health to reduce health inequities and contribute to broader development, organized by the five Conference themes. The final version of this paper will inform discussions at the Conference.
Comments on this current draft are welcome by Friday 3 June 2011 and can be submitted at the Consultation webpage above.
In particular, comments are sought on whether the draft fulfils its aims to inform the five themes of the Conference, and whether any major strategies for implementation of action on social determinants have been omitted.
The main themes that will be tackled during the Conference are:
· Governance to tackle the root causes of health inequities: implementing action on social determinants of health
· The role of the health sector, including public health programmes, in reducing health inequities
· Promoting participation: community leadership for action on social determinants
· Global action on social determinants: aligning priorities and stakeholders
· Monitoring progress: measurement and analysis to inform policies on social determinants
The aim of the Conference is to bring
· strengthen political commitment by Member States to develop and implement national policies on social determinants of health to reduce health inequities;
· share experiences, challenges and technical knowledge on addressing social determinants of health, taking into account the need for strengthening governance arrangements and learning from different contexts.
* * *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues. [DD/ KMC Area]
“Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members”.
Equity List - Archives - Join/remove: http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html
IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended
recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient or a person responsible for delivering this
transmission to the intended recipient, you may not
disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take
any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission
in error, please dispose of and delete this transmission.