Gender Equity in Health
The Shifting Frontiers of Evidence and Action
Editor : Gita Sen, Piroska Östlin
ISBN: 978-0-415-80190-4 - Published by: Routledge
Publication Date: 29th September 2009
‘….This volume brings together leading researchers from a variety of disciplines to examine three areas: health disparities and inequity due to gender, the specific problems women face in meeting the highest attainable standards of health, and the policies and actions that can address them.
This volume brings together experts from a variety of disciplines, such as medicine, biology, sociology, epidemiology, anthropology, economics and political science, who focus on three areas:
- health disparities and inequity due to gender,
- the specific problems women face in meeting the highest attainable standards of health, and
- the policies and actions that can address them.
Highlighting the importance of intersecting social hierarchies (e.g. gender, class and ethnicity) for understanding health inequities and their implications for health policy, contributors detail and recommend policy approaches and agendas that incorporate, but go beyond commonly acknowledged issues relating to women’s health and gender equity in health….”
1. Gender as a Social Determinant of Health: Evidence, Policies and Innovations Gita Sen and Piroska Östlin
2. The Social Body: Gender and the Burden of Disease Rachel Snow
3. Inequalities and Intersections in Health: A Review of the Evidence Aditi Iyer, Gita Sen and Piroska Östlin
4. Gendered Health Outcomes of an "Endless" War on Terror Rosalind Petchesky and Melissa Laurie
5. Gender, Health and Poverty in
6. Gender Norms and Empowerment: ‘What Works’ to Increase Equity for Women and Girls Helen Keleher
7. Challenging Gender in Patient-Provider Interactions Veloshnee Govender and Loveday Penn-Kekana
8. Exploring the Gendered Dimensions of Human Resources for Health Asha George
9. Accountability to Citizens on Gender and Health Ranjani K. Murthy
10. Gender Mainstreaming in Health: The Emperor’s New Clothes? T.K.S. Ravindran and A. Kelkar-Khambete
Select “Title” in the drop-down menu under “eBooks Search”
Type in: Gender Equity in Health
If the book appears in the results, click “More” following the brief description.
You should be taken to a page where you can click on an image of the book and view the first 30 pages.
Piroska Östlin, Ph.D, Associate Professor
Department of Public Health Sciences - Division of Global Health (IHCAR)
* * *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues. [DD/ KMC Area]
“Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members”.
Equity List - Archives - Join/remove: http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html
IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you may not disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and please dispose of and delete this transmission. Thank you.