Launching of the Mesoamerican Public Health Institute
Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas, México 22 - 24 de abril del 2009
“…….…the Mesoamerican Public Health Institute (MPHI), was launched as a virtual network of academic and research institutes in the Mesoamerican region. Officers from academic and research institutions undersigned a Letter of Intention expressing their interest in collaborating to establish the basis for this strategic component of the Mesoamerican Public Health System.
The Letter of Intent was signed during the closing session of the First Mesoamerican Ministerial Summit, held in Tuxtla Gutiérrez, state of
MPHI is an initiative lead and fostered by the Mexican government and the National Institute of Public Health of
The MPHI network will contribute to strengthening the Mesoamerican national health systems, with a view to improving population health through the production and utilization of regional public goods. It will operate with the vision of joint collaboration for the development of regional strategies to strengthen the countries' knowledge and capacity to address public health challenges.
MPHI will offer the following Mesoamerican Programs immediately: Postgraduate and Continuous Public Health Education; Institutional Strengthening and Development, and Technical Support and Knowledge Management. As part of its initial focus, MPHI will pursue the following Mesoamerican Health System goals: malaria eradication, dengue control, improvement of mother-child health, elimination of malnutrition as a public health issue, and universal immunization for
Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública , INSP. México
Instituto Costarricense de Investigación y Enseñanza en Nutrición y Salud INCIENSA. Costa Rica
Universidad de Costa Rica
Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad de El Salvador
Centro de Investigaciones y Estudios de la Salud (CIES). Nicaragua
Instituto Conmemorativo GORGAS de Estudios de la Salud (GORGAS). Panamá
Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad de San Carlos, Guatemala
Instituto de Nutrición de Centro América y Panamá (INCAP).
ECOSUR (Colegio de ),
1. Central American Training program and Development - Include courses and graduates of updating and training in epidemiology, health systems and services focused to the regional action.
• Graduate in global health
• Regional Course of management and leadership of policies and health programs
• Summer Course: Health policies on scientific bases
2. Training program and Updating of Professionals in Public Health, in order to strengthen the human capital approached to development regional in health within the framework of the SMSP. Doctoral programs, master's program and graduates will be considered with an approach in research and regional problem-solving. A network of tutors and educators will be supported with a fellowship program and will be established gradually with the integrating institutions the IMSP who permit to go decentralizing the teaching.
3. Technical Support and for Management of the Knowledge, based on shared information systems, tools for knowledge management and communications . .
Primera Cumbre Ministerial Mesoamericana De Enfermedades Transmitidas Por Vector
* * *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues. [DD/ KMS Area]
“Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members”.
IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you may not disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and please dispose of and delete this transmission. Thank you.