Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008
Stephen B. Thomas, Ph.D. Director, Center for Minority Health - Philip Hallen Professor of Community Health and Social Justice
Graduate School of Public Health -
Building Capacity to Eliminate Health Disparities: The Founding Meeting of the Academy for Health Equity
Call for papers: The deadline for abstract submissions will be Thursday, May 15, 2008
The inaugural founding conference of the Academy for Health Equity is critical to developing the knowledge-base for those engaged in health disparity activities by facilitating trans-disciplinary translation exchanges of the latest research and practical applications by:
· Increasing the capacity of participants to address complex health systems change, delivery of services, new models of medical care and public health, policies that facilitate access to health, and new methods of measurement for preventable diseases in underserved, poorly served and never served populations.
· Promoting the application of evidence-based, theory-driven findings of disease prevention and health promotion for the elimination racial and ethnic health disparities.
· Identifying gaps in knowledge and data of the broad spectrum of causal factors of health disparities and bringing together inter-disciplinary, trans-disciplinary and community-based approaches to achieve equity in health.
· Exploring effective trans-disciplinary approaches to identify and address the social determinants of health related to health disparities.
· Applying the latest theories, principles, programs, and practices to improving health literacy, cultural competency, and health communications programs.
All authors will be notified via email of abstract status on Thursday, May 22, 2008.
Before submitting an abstract, please review the submission requirements and gather the required information:
* * * *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues. [DD/ KMS Area]
"Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members".
PAHO/WHO Website: http://www.paho.org/
EQUITY List - Archives - Join/remove: http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html
IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you may not disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by email to email@example.com, and please dispose of and delete this transmission. Thank you.