Thursday, May 3, 2012

[EQ] Born Too Soon: The Global Action Report on Preterm Birth

Born Too Soon: The Global Action Report on Preterm Birth

March of Dimes, PMNCH, Save the Children, WHO. Born Too Soon
Eds CP
Howson, MV Kinney, JE Lawn.
World Health Organization. Geneva, 2012




 “……2 MAY 2012 | NEW YORK - Born Too Soon: The Global Action Report on Preterm Birth provides the first-ever national, regional and global estimates of preterm birth. The report shows the extent to which preterm birth is on the rise in most countries, and is now the second leading cause of death globally for children under five, after pneumonia.

Addressing preterm birth is now an urgent priority for reaching Millennium Development Goal 4, which calls for the reduction of child deaths by two-thirds by 2015.

This report shows that rapid change is possible and identifies priority actions for everyone. Born Too Soon proposes actions for policy, programs and research by all partners – from governments to NGOs to the business community -- that if acted upon, will substantially reduce the toll of preterm birth, especially in high-burden countries.

This report is a joint effort of almost 50 international, regional and national organizations, led by the March of Dimes, The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health, Save the Children and the World Health Organization in support of the Every Woman Every Child effort, led by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

The report contains a foreword by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and is accompanied by more than 30 new and expanded commitments to prevention and care of preterm birth, joining more than 200 existing commitments on every woman every child Org. ………”

All preterm births are not the same

For the report, preterm was defined as 37 weeks of completed gestation or less, which is the standard WHO definition. Preterm babies are defined in 3 categories:

·         Late preterm - those born between 32 and 37 weeks - account for 84 percent of total preterm births, or 12.5 million. Most survive with supportive care.

·         Very preterm - those born between 28 and 32 weeks. These babies require extra supportive care. Most will survive

·         Extremely preterm - those born before 28 weeks. These babies require the most intensive, expensive care to survive. In developed countries, these babies have a 90 percent chance of survival, though they may suffer lifelong physical, neurological, and learning disabilities. In low-income countries, only 10 percent survive

Executive summary
Chapter 1 - Preterm birth matters
Chapter 2 - 15 million preterm births: priorities for action based on national, regional and global estimates
Chapter 3 - Care before and between pregnancy
Chapter 4 - Care during pregnancy and childbirth
Chapter 5 - Care for the preterm baby
Chapter 6 - Actions: everyone has a role to play
References and acknowledgments
Additonal references


 *      *     *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues.  [DD/ KMC Area]
Washington DC USA

“Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members”.
PAHO/WHO Website
Equity List - Archives - Join/remove:

IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended
recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient or a person responsible for delivering this
transmission to the intended recipient, you may not
disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take
any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission
in error, please dispose of and delete this transmission.

Thank you.

No comments: