Silent Killer, Economic
Available online at: http://bit.ly/wn1xVx
· Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) are the greatest cause of deaths and disability for humans. Usually slowly developing conditions such as heart disease, cancer, asthma, diabetes and depression, some are preventable and others amenable to cost-effective treatment.
· Cumulative losses in global economic output due to NCDs will total $47 trillion, or 5% of GDP, by 2030. Modest investments to prevent and treat NCDs could bring major economic returns and save tens of millions of lives.
· As populations urbanize and grow, tobacco and alcohol use, poor diet and inactive lives will drive up deaths globally by 17% in the next 10 years.
· A coherent response might prioritize tobacco control and child nutrition, focus innovation on efficient community-based models of care, and ensure access to basic off-patent medicines.
· Although the most effective interventions on tobacco, food and alcohol contain fiscal and regulatory threats for individual industries, these merit consideration given the positive economic effects for businesses in general.
· Sustainable, balanced economic policy can consider low rates of NCDs as a measure of success. Where the economic benefits outweigh the costs, civil society has a major role to play in harnessing an effective response to NCDs.
* * *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues. [DD/ KMC Area]
“Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members”.
Equity List - Archives - Join/remove: http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html
IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended
recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient or a person responsible for delivering this
transmission to the intended recipient, you may not
disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take
any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission
in error, please dispose of and delete this transmission.